https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/I1ryAaefxZNy-bJj-v-06pc2JCcu0ZyDiWFI2hhxEC5pempl6I8hPRrlR0zHrTN1x5gZfgT3zBVfYu7WCeYb49k=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.blogadda.com/images/blogadda.png

Friday 19 June 2015

My Yoga story


Yes! It is international yoga day on June 21.What so great? It is an awakening of sorts. A health tool , a way of life that our ancestors followed for centuries saw an almost death till some recent years.But the world awoke before us ,that it is a billion dollar industry today. 
       
Very rightly said in Bhagwath Gita too.

"yoga-sthaḥ kuru karmāṇi saṅgaṁ tyaktvā dhanañjaya
siddhy-asiddhyoḥ samo bhūtvā samatvaṁ yoga uchyate"
(http://www.holy-bhagavad-gita.org/chapter/2/verse/48)
Also, in the words of our PM Modiji  when he called observing an International Yoga Day, describing the ancient science as "India's gift to the world." 
(http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Narendra-Modi-calls-for-International-Yoga-Day/articleshow/43665102.cms)

All  this said and done. I have to tell you 2 instances where Yoga has changed my life .It has given me a multi-dimensional outlook to my life.The  holistic touch that continues to support me in all my ups and downs is itself a great pointer to the healing power of Yoga.Yoga is just not an exercise regimen but it is a way of life.It cleanses your body,soul and mind.

Rewind to 2005 July 25,most of us remember the catastrophic flood that hit Maharashtra. The waters gulped down most villages.It devastated Mumbai the next day. We were staying a few kilo meters away from Panvel in the Raigad district.A beautiful township was our home that also housed my husband's factory.In the wee hours of  morning of July 25th me and my daughter were still asleep as my husband was away in his night duty at factory.Heavy rains were lashing already.Suddenly a gush of water entered our house.In a few minutes our house got flooded.The water was seeping rather silently and quickly. We were somehow rescued from the mess.Sooner our house was almost submerged with 10 feet high water.We lost most of our things and a lot more of our memories .Hours later me and my little daughter were reunited with my husband.What followed was an unimaginable and stressful chain of events.We moved forward thanking God for saving our lives. Though with help of relatives and friends we settled in our lives,I went into severe depression.That is when my aunt introduced me to Pranayama and Kapaal Bhathi and a few another basic Aaasanas .I was in my late twenties then and sincerely started practicing them for 3 years. Yoga taught me to face and survive.
                                            The next phase was more challenging.A huge untold tragedy struck our family when my husband lost his loving sister to cancer.Though he faced the eventuality with great courage soon he slipped into severe depression and acidity related issues.A good friend of ours introduced us to Isha Yoga.Both me and my husband learned it.He practices Shambahavi yoga till today.It has been 3 years now with some lifestyle changes like playing sports and right eating helped him to get on track.
                Both these life changing incidents have inspired me more than ever before to practice some form of Yoga in my life.Part of my career too involved in an organisation that promoted Yoga and I learnt how to apply Yoga for some therapeutic conditions.Today all my workshops have a compulsory 'Pranayama' teachings.Especially in corporate healthcare scenario of today Yoga helps to de-stress and lead a happy and healthy life.

My Pranayama time


http://www.blogadda.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment